Strepsils is a line of lozenges manufactured by Reckitt Benckiser in Nottingham, United Kingdom. They come in a variety of flavors and are part of the Boots Healthcare International (BHI) brands that Reckitt Benckiser acquired in 2006. As of 2010, it is the largest-selling sore throat product in the world.
Campaign: Ab Montu Bolega
Strepsils connected itself to Swachh Bharat Abhiyan which aims CLEANING INDIA. This is a step to build its CSR initiatives as well as marketing efforts using social media engagement and digital media technology. Strepsils launched the campaign on social media, requesting people to participate by sending images of uncleaned streets, grounds, beaches, etc with an assurance to adopt them for cleaning.
- The campaign was initiated with launch of competition on Indibloggers featuring brief on how participants ensured they are following Swachh Bharat campaign. The blogpost on their website should have specific keywords and mentions of #AbMontuBolega, #SwachhBharat & #Indibloggers. IndBloggers with contest, as part of content generating plan.
- On Twitter PPC program was launched based on users’ interest analytics. Followers and tweeters were shown images of clean vs uncleaned streets, cluttered railway station platforms vs cleaned platforms, etc along with the caption SPEAK UP. This helped building the campaign with graphic posters on Twitter. The tweets have to be done using #AbMontuBolega & #SwachhBharat and reply to @StrepsilsIndia. Places which have maximum tweets and retweets would be adopted by the company for cleaning program.
- Facebook – page activity, requesting to post photographs of uncleaned areas
Analysis of the campaign
- Through the video and interactive website promotes campaign for SPEAK UP concept, it failed to connect with audience for all issues related to SPEAK UP, since it has more focus on “Swachh Bharat”.
- The campaign was initiated from 1st Dec 14, but haven’t been able to achieve viral factor, as it focused more on blogging and tweets
- Failed to propagate Who is MONTU of “Ab Montu Bolega”, like “Digen Fruti Peeta hai” for Fruti or Balbir Pasha for AIDS awareness
- The innovative concept of visual communication for SPEAK UP for CLEANLINESS, worked amongst audience. Cleaning & adoption of playground at Kolkata helped to build case study for CSR also.
- Achieve success to raise awareness on CLEANLINESS on Google search through blogging contest.
- The campaign syncs with vision of Strepsils – Cleans throat, now cleans streets both for better and healthy life.
- Involvement of “MONTU” didn’t make any impact for awareness.
- It is important to target single category and makes sense to associate with “Swachh Bharat” instead of trying to promote 15 categories and achieving zero success, being category leader helps.
- This brings us to the conclusion that interactive website and video should also focused on “Swachh Bharat”.
- This innovative campaign would have helped to build the concept which has been acceptable across different target audiences and geographical societies “Swachh Bharat”. Adoption of localities, which can be maintained by Strepsils along with branding and initiatives, would help to build bigger brand.
- The campaign would have easily scored viral impact through whatsapp, by requesting users to whatsapp the images of uncleaned societies, streets, grounds, platforms, etc form a lobby around it and pitch to the govt officials for adoption.
- Adoption process should be a BTL activity involving the local people participation in cleaning. (Case study ref – Coke Cola RockCorps)