Public relations have seen huge change in the mode of communication strategies with the rise of social media networks. Digital marketing has enabled new forms of communication tools which have helped organizations in better engagement with stakeholders. Public Relation Agencies have also embraced this social media marketingfor communications and campaigns. Here are few techniques which can help a PR Professional to adapt social media for PR.
- Social Sharing with Press Releases: Rise of social media has changed in traditional press release to social media release, as press release communicates only to journalists. Social media release incorporates social sharing buttons in press releases as journalists rely a lot on this feature. This feature also helps to build credibility as journalists have a wide following of readers on social networks. Social Media release also enables ease of dissemination of release since it follows the principle of shares, so less spamming of outlook. As social media release is targeted to the online content generators like bloggers, journalists, content marketers, etc., so it’s preferable to share only information rather than PR Jargons, since digital content writers prefer simple news. By incorporating all the elements of social media tools, it becomes easier to reach stakeholders with required information.When creating a news release for print, catchy headline works to attract attention, but when writing for an online audience have to include the keywords and search terms that you want to be found for.
- Build Campaign around Case Studies: Case study helps to build story for engagement with journalists in much easy way to explain about products / services, since products are too technical, turns out quite boring. Creation of visual case study offers better engagement impact than textual.
- Journalist access and insights: Social media has greatly helped PR professionals to source information, interests and likes about journalists, which helps to build better relationships with journalists. Social Media has also given rise to citizen journalism, which stresses importance of bloggers, authors and content generators. Further, journalists often search for sources of information and social media is the first place they update about their requirements.
- Sharing is caring: To be successful on social media it is important to be helpful and offer information, whether related to your client or information from market. Providing information to journalists and fans helps in building engaging relationships. Social media is more about working collaboratively through dialogue.
- Managing Reputation: Reputation management is about reaching out to fans and clients through social media, rather than depending on journalists as the turnaround time is less on social media. Social media is viral, usually one social media day = 8 hours, so response time during crisis has to be immediate. Also with social media it’s much easier to respond to crisis, as offline media takes time to respond. To avoid such situation engage regularly rather than NEEDED base. Even though social media gives the option to engage online, during crisis situations, it is better to take the conversation offline as high chances of hitting viral. Provide clear instructions which are helpful, don’t confuse.