You saw the movie, now learn from the movie SHOLAY. Highest blockbuster movie of Bollywood, now learn management lessons from Gabbar Singh and Thakur.
Now is are some from Thakur
- Always cover your limitations, don’t expose them to the competition (He always wore long-sleeved garments, though he had no arms)
- Never hide the truth from your barber or tailor.( Hair was replaced with chic wig and sleeves were always the right length – importance of Power Dressing)
- When you are young in the business use heavy artillery, when you grow older use your head (Initially he used firearms)
- When negotiating never reveal all your cards (One recent clip showed hands tucked away carefully)
- In business keep your nose and hands clean. This keeps IT and other govt. agencies at bay. (He never has to clean his nose or dirtied his hands)
- In business never waste time haggling the ‘right price’, make the first proposition one that can’t be refused. (He hires Jay and Viru with a single non-negotiable offer)
- When recruiting always keep perks within easy view and customize them (Jaya and Hema are kept in view and as different as chalk and cheese)
- Don’t dirty your hand-especially the sly one.(Kept a trusted lieutenant ‘Kaka’ for the really dirty work)
- Develop your foot soldiers to become the first bulwark against the enemy while your main weapons are kept on hold (Always fought with his feet)
- Take care to arm your foot soldiers well, remember they hold up and sol(e)d up your company.( His shoes were studded with brand new nails)
- One 11th lesson always flouted by managers: “Don’t waste time in dialoguebaazi – they only get you taalis from frontbenchers.( He was action -oriented. Hence he ended up in the winning frame).
Here Gabbar is delivering MANAGEMENT lessons
- Jo darr gaya samjho mar gaya – Courage and enterprise are important factors for laying the successful foundation of a growth oriented business
- Kitne admi the – Its important to know the competition and its size ..he understood that even a small team can make a difference
- Arey o sambha kitna inam rakhe hai sarkar hum par – Promoting one’s own brand is very important and to be reiterated always
- goli, aur aadmi
- Create an illusion where his insubordinate had a chance of survival but kills them in the next scene …
- moral – perform or perish - Le ab goli kha – Sometimes in the interest of the organisation u have to take hard and unpopular decisions …. So sometimes a leader has to ‘fire’ some employees
- Jab tak tere pair chalenge uski saans chalegi – Classic carrot and stick approach …tere pair ruke toh yeh bandook chalegi !!
- Yeh ramgadh waale apni betiyon ko kaunsi chakki ka aata khilate hai re – Market research is important to understand value propositions !!
- Yeh hath mujhey dedey thakur – Identify elements of threats in the market and take measures to minimise them
- Holi kab hai, kab hai Holi – Conduct advance mapping of key events within the industry and devise penetration strategy to have a competitive edge over your rivals
- “Suwer ke bacheyyyy !” – Verbal warning for non performance !
I hope MBA can learn more from Bollywood than real industry.